Due to recent events, you can now leave online condolences with each obituary posted on the Kutis Funeral Home website.


October 6th, 1941 – June 29th, 2017

Thomas was born in Granite City, Illinois to Thomas Willard and Ruth Arminta (Kahn) Finn. He had only one sister, Ruth Laverne (Finn) Morelock – all three preceding him in death.

He grew up in Granite City; went through the Granite City school system; graduated in 1959. Because he was still only 17, he couldn’t get a job as a machinist until he turned 18. As a result he joined his friends and enrolled in SIUE to major in accounting.

In August of 1957 one of his close friends, Archie Lupardus, was dating a girl, Judie Travis, who had a younger sister, Virgie. Archie set up a blind date, then the journey began. They were only 15 & 16 at the time and have been together ever since. They married July 7, 1962 in Granite City, one year before he graduated from SIUE with a BS in accounting. Tom was immediately recruited by the US Treasury in 1963. He began work in the E St Louis office, moving around with each promotion, until retiring 33 years later in 1997 from the downtown St Louis IRS office at the young age of 55.

In 1964 their first son, Steven, arrived, followed by brother David in 1965 while still living in Granite. Five years later they were joined by their little sister, Karen, in 1971 who was born in Decatur, Illinois where they had moved with a job promotion a few years before. Tom got another promotion, which moved them to Peoria, Illinois. In 1976, as their parents were aging and in need of some assistance, Tom was promoted again and offered the position as Special Revenue Agent in the St Louis area.

Tom used his knowledge and expertise in the financial areas of every church he attended. He faithfully served the church teaching Sunday School classes, and RA missions groups, when his boys were young.

Tom enjoyed participating in sports and was an avid dirt track racing fan that brought him many hours of pleasure with the boys. He attempted some involvement with racing cars with his brother-in-law, Archie, while they were young and dating sisters. More recently he and David were pit crew for Steven in his many years of racing. As a teenager, Tom enjoyed street drag racing until he got caught and taken home to his parents by the police.

Tom was very devoted to his family throughout the years by helping each and every child and grandchild with moral support, financial help, which usually came with a small lecture as to how to avoid their problems in the future, and spiritual support and advice.  To express his love and care for family, Tom’s ‘love language’ was action and service.

After retirement, he was in full time employment for the LORD, at Starling Rd. Baptist Church, working several hours every day, either in financial needs or church maintenance like cutting grass. He cursed the day he started becoming too weak to continue cutting grass, the beginning of his decline in health, as he was treated medically by many specialists in heart issues, diabetes, cancer and ITP, a blood platelet condition.

During the last week of his life, all of his three children, all but one grandson and five of his great grandsons and some other close relatives and good friends were able to visit with him at St. Anthony’s Hospital and Hospice House. He recognized each and every one as they came in and said ‘hi’. Then he would say to each of them: “Come, sit here with me for a while” and proceeded to tell them how much he cared for and loved them, accompanied by a lot of “I love you’s” & “thank you’s.” Twice, he made it known that he wanted everyone to surround and touch him and pray.

The last three nights the family all laughed, cried and loved on each other, sang a few hymns and other fun and favorite songs and prayed.

As he silently and peacefully slipped away on Thursday morning, to forever be with our LORD, he was surrounded by many family members.

To help explain Papa Tom the best, the words shared on Facebook by oldest grandchild, Dayna, who wrote on June 30th:  “Today we said ‘goodbye’ to my Papa Tom. A wise, generous, and loyal man. He was passionate about protecting and providing for his family. A lover of sports, westerns, and good conversation. I will dearly miss his bright blue eyes, warm hugs, and detailed stories. I am grateful that I was able to know and love him, and be loved by him for 30 years, though I wish it could be longer. I am also grateful that we were able to spend his last days with him, getting in last hugs and I love you’s, and that we were able to finally see him pain-free and at peace.”

Tom is survived by wife, Virgie (née Travis) Finn; sons, Steven (Charla) Finn, and David Finn; daughter Karen (Bill) Eisele; grandchildren, Dayna (Michael) Lendsey, Shane Finn; and Samantha (Timothy) Gleason, Emma Donley, Joseph Donley, John Michael Donley, Elizabeth Eisele and Amanda McCallister; great grandsons, Bennett Louis Finn Gleason, Thomas James Lendsey, Jude Calvert Lendsey, Elijah Thomas Finn and Kendon and Paxton McCallister; Aunts, and many Cousins, Nieces & Nephews.

He will surely be missed and longed for, but he left many fond memories behind to appreciate.

Funeral at Kutis City Chapel, 2906 Gravois, on Monday, July 3, at 1:00 PM. Interment Sunset Memorial Estates, Glen Carbon, IL. Memorials to Canaan Baptist Church, Great Commission Fund and St Anthony’s Hospice House, St Louis. (Envelopes will be available). Visitation Sunday 5:00 to 8:00 PM